Yep. Thats my new response for future roommates.... well at least if they use my address is on their drivers license.
Story: So I received my renewal statement for my auto insurance ... and my roommate is on there! WTF! How and why is he showing up on my insurance? How do they even know he lives with me? And how can they add him without my approval?
I call my agent at State Farm. Apparently when my roommate got a new license he put my address on his license. Ok. He lives here, he can do that, what do I care. Well DMV says some crap about if you live in the same household, you have access to whatever cars are in that household, so somehow, someway its ok for State Farm to add his name to my insurance without me even knowing about it. But my agent reassures me he's not effecting my rate at all. What? That doesn't make it ok. He doesn't drive my car. He has his own car. And the only reason he is not effecting my rates is because he has a good record. Anyways, not the point. The point is state farm added someone to my account without my approval or consent!
Solution: I have to prove he has his own auto insurance to take him off mine! What? He is renting a room in my house and I have to ask him for his CAR insurance?? Seriously? Ridiculous! So I talk to my roommate.... he has state farm too. State farm can't figure this out in their own system? I called my agent back. He took car of it.
It's fixed now. He has been taken off my insurance. For now.
NOTE TO SELF: Future roommates are not allowed to put my address on their license. If they do, well.... just don't do it.
"Well DMV says some crap about if you live in the same household, you have access to whatever cars are in that household..."
ReplyDeleteAnecdotal evidence: in all my years of living with roommates, we've never crossed the streams on car insurance.