Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Happy? Veteran's Day!

As I sit here drinking coffee from this fabulous red cup and browse through old pictures, I'm remembering great times, sad times, scary times.  Veteran's day is a happy day... its a day to be thankful for what you have and reflect on why you have it.  Someone, maybe someone you loved, knew a little, never knew at all sacrificed so you could do what you do now.  Maybe you served yourself.

I served in the US Army.  I was only in for 4 years but I served for you all the same.  I suffered through basic training in the heat of Missouri (misery) and trained in beautiful Virginia.  Got stuck in Fort Drum NY for most of my time... but I had good friends there to help me through.  I pulled guard duty with loaded weapons on the fences of the Bosnia posts.  I've slept on the ground with just a sleeping bag and feet of snow around me.  I've been through things.  Many people have been through much more than me - war, enemy fire, snipers, all that stuff I was so scared to ever be in and am thankful I never was.  I have highest respects for those that were in these situations, still are in these situations.  I can only imagine.

As I look through my old pictures, I had a great time serving my country.  I met great people, lost great people, and wonder where some of these people are now because we never kept in touch.

Browsing through Facebook this morning, I saw lots of wonderful posts relating to today.  Some made me laugh, some made me cry.... but what I love the most is that people remember, if just for a moment, that soldiers are a huge part of what and why our country is what it is.  They forget to complain about a stupid red cup, forget about Glenn from walking dead, and instead remember why they can do all that in the first place.

So today, if not everyday, thank those that served, remember those that sacrificed, and pray for those currently serving.  Someone is always serving for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment